Thursday, May 22, 2008

Well. Hell.

Went to the doctor for a follow up yesterday & got a release to work. So, today was my first day back to work, and my last.

That's right, I've been fired. They're not wanting to call it that, but that's what it boils down to. No one who's looked at the scene of the wreck can understand how it happened, they're afraid I might have another, worse accident (because another driver had a second, worse accident) and they don't feel comfortable letting me get behind the wheel again. Etc, etc etc.

So I've got the rest of today and tomorrow on the last of my vacation time, and they're going to pay me for Monday, Memorial Day, oh, and I'm not fired/released/let go/whatever yet.

They're going to talk to all the other site managers and see if there's something else they can find for me to do. Oh, yeah.

I really want to keep driving - I'd love an over the road job - but I just can't see it happening.

"What's your reason for leaving your last job?"

"Uh, I rolled a fully-loaded truck and they let me go."

Nah, can't see that flying well.

Update, 23 May 08: I called Tom, at Keim Trucking, in Sabetha Kansas. My opening words: "I want to apply for a job driving with Keim, but I just got let go from my last job, with Beatrice Concrete, for rolling a full-loaded concrete truck. Am I wasting time, or do I have a chance?"

He said, "It'll be tough. Call me back in an hour."

I called back in an hour. I've got a 1000 job interview on Tuesday morning.

No comments: